Sharp Chain Scragg
We have a full line of Sharp Chain Scragg options to fit your needs.
We have a full line of Sharp Chain options to fit your small log production needs.
Benefits of a Cooper Sharp Chain Scragg:
- Higher production than a Carriage or Overhead Scragg
- Wide range of sizes available
- Hold-downs included in front of saws, in front of Vertical Edgers and on the Tandem in between the two husk frames to hold the material secure
- Husk Frame uses 100HP, 125HP or 150HP motors, THK hardened shafts and linear slide bearings for smooth movement and electric cylinders with sensors for husk frame autoset and ability to override.
- Equipment is backed up by people who care
Choose Your Sharp Chain Scragg Model
|32” – 60” material
|36”- 60” material
|36” – 10’ material
|Cants, Ties, Mats, Pallets
|Dimension lumber, Cants, Ties, Mats, Pallets depending on quality of log
|Mat Timbers and Switch Ties
Types of Chain
Generation 1 chain was used on older machines and is no longer offered
There is an upgrade available to Generation 2 Chain for our existing customers
This is our base model that utilizes 100 roller chain with abrasion resistant drags riding on an abrasion resistant wear strip.
Sharp Chain Third Gen Precision Sharp Chain In Cut.jpg
Our Precision Sharp Chain machine uses 140 roller chain with hardened races and drags for longer wear and higher production
Our Special Generation 4 Sharp Chain uses 140 roller chain with 5” tall 3” wide precision sharp chain drags and combination of steel T-bar precision raceway and UHMW T-bar precision raceway with an angle iron and UHMW chain return for those projects utilizing chipping heads and higher precision applications.
Available Options for the Sharp Chain Scragg
This machine is a work horse for pallet cants and lumber. Usually includes two sets of vertical edgers, to edge the slabs on the machine and you end up with a square cant with just one operator.
- For Logs 8-22” Diameter
This includes a 10’ extension of sharp chain from saw #1 to transfer cants through scanner, then shifts over to saw #2 infeed which is a double sharp top chain with three sets of servo electric skewing pins, air pushover arms all set by an A & E PLC and Joe Scan Scanner. It also includes another 15’ infeed for saw #2 of double sharp top chain with six pivot assemblies to lift/ lower cant onto sharp top chain to feed into saw #2 with four sets of cant hold-downs over sharp top chain (pneumatic). This works better than the traditional centering arms and allows you to get great cants with very little to no wane.
- For Logs 8-22” Diameter
- For small logs 6-13” Diameter
- Controls by Automation & Electronics using Allen Bradley Components or Industrial Concepts using ABB.
- Available with 2D scanning or Optimization to get the best yield out of each log
- Kinetix MCC panel can be provided as an option
- Circle Saws 48”
- Circle Saws 56”
- Twin Bands 10” Bands
- Twin Bands 12” Bands
We have improved the design of the Vertical Edgers and they have a splined arbor with a poly chain belt drive, one single saw collar and one double collar set at 3 ½” with air shift from 3 ½” to 5 1/2”, For one 3 ½” slab, two 3 ½” slabs or one 5 ½” slab, two electric cylinders to move the edgers to the center of each log, cant/slab separation wings and two sets of spring loaded hold-on wings.
- Vertical Edgers with Two Saws
- Vertical Edgers with Three Saws
Standard sizes are 6 x 6, 6 x8, or 8×8 but custom sizes are available. These do come with heavy duty flooring, insulation, electrical/lights and an air conditioner/heater
Add a Splitter with circle saws behind the Tandem or Yield Champ to split four sided cants into up to 3 – 3 ½” or a multiple of 3 ½ and 5 ½ pieces – great option for pallet mills
- Add a one, two (or more) MIT 2” or 4” band Horizontal Resaws to split cants into three sided pieces behind a Generation 2 Sharp Chain without adding more people
- MIT bands are built heady with 40” fabricated solid steel wheels, a polychain belt drive, mobile pressure guides, heavy duty air bag for the strain system, and the bands have a servo motor gear box setworks with linear positioners
Add a Heavy duty Slat table to separate strips and slabs for further processing or for lighter materials, a belt can be used.
Cooper Machine makes a great Slab Recovery System that includes a Trimmer and VSA. Slabs come off the scragg, and then go through a hands free pallet trimmer to trim the slabs and then into a VSA (Vertical Saw Arbor) which cuts the slabs into up to 7 individual boards (based on the height of boards). It is optimized to get great pallet lumber with a hogging head on top to hog off the top strip to minimize downtime. This is a great system with minimal labor (just one person to run it) and processes up to 40 slabs per minute!